RECIPE FOR SAFARI PIE
1kg cake flour
20ml lemon juice
Cold enough water
- Rub in margarine, flour and salt
- Make a well in the middle
- Add lemon juice and cold water
- Need thoroughly
- Roll out
- Fold Paarfex onto the door and need
- Fold into as many folds to make layers
- Rest in the cold room ready to use.
PIE FILLING (Note there also venison and vegetarian choices)
150g chicken breast
20ml fresh cream
100ml white sauce
30ml white wine
50ml chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the chicken and fry until the chicken begins to turn white.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to fry until the chicken is golden-brown.
- Remove the chicken and mushrooms from the pan and set aside. Add the onion and celery and leeks to the same pan and fry for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Remove from the heat and set aside with the chicken and mushrooms.
- Simmer the chicken stock in a sauce pan
- Mix the fresh cream, white sauce, white pepper and salt, to taste. Simmer over a gentle heat, stirring constantly, for about five minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the chopped leeks, celery and pour the sauce over the chicken and mushroom mixture. Mix well, then spoon into a pie dish and leave until completely cool.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until it is the thickness of a pound coin. Brush the edges of the pie dish with beaten egg; lay the pastry on top, press down the edges and trim. Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg and cut some leaf shapes out of the left-over pastry to decorate the top of the pie.
- Make two or three slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape and then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden-brown on top.